Tuesday, September 25, 2012

FMQ Challenge - September

In September the FMQ Challenge lesson was taught by Paula Reid. I could not say that the Fluff & Stuff technique was new to me. But "Fancy Feather" looks interesting. It is not the design of my type. That means that I have to get out of my comfort zone and try it! I decided to use the Golden Threads quilting paper that I bought last summer on Vermont Quilt festival. I transfered the pattern on the paper and started quilting.
This is what I got:
The paper come out easily but when I looked closer, I discovered that the thread looks dirty :-( When the needle was punching the paper, it also picked up some pencil marks, very disappointing.
I bought this paper for quilting my king size quilt and it seams that I have to find another solution. And do not forget rule number one - always try the marking tools before using them!!! Another problem that I can't resolve until now:
I get the "nests" on the back of my quilt when quilting with Superior Thread Bottom Line(this is also the new product I got recently). I have never had this kind of problem before, therefore I was quilting with many differnt threads: Gutterman cotton and poly, invisafil, YLI silk, even metallic thread never gave me this problem. I changed 5(!) different needles(Microtech 60 and 70, quilting, universal, metallic), I refilled the bobbin, re-threaded my machine many times - nothing helps. I think I should e-mail this question to the company - everybody on the forum seems to be so happy with this thread, but not me.

3 comments:

Janet O. said...

Your quilting looks really nice, but it sounds like you are having a very frustrating thread problem. I hope you get it worked out soon!

Sue Clarke said...

Isn't it funny how different machines respond so differently to threads? I use Superior Bottom Line and just love it. I have not had one issue with it (to date anyway!. I hope you find a solution.

Connie said...

The quilting looks wonderful and I also use Bottomline thread and don't have problems with it but my vintage 15-91 Singer works well with any kind of thread. Too bad about the pencil marks getting on your fabric.